Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Light and Love

Photo: Great day shooting the Nashville PSA! Can't wait to see the final cut air!

Perhaps this is a strange title for a blog post about shooting a public service announcement about pit bulls, but let me explain, in a rather round-about way.  I don't know whose idea it was to do a public service announcement, but I suspect it was a group of good people at Nashville Pittie.  When all the stars aligned, and people could get together to plan, it all fell together, with a simple concept: innocence of children as a metaphor for the innocence of our championed breed.  So. Basically I was on board. 
I offered any help I could provide but really left it all up to the higher ups (I am just a sometime volunteer and blogger).  However, what I do have in spades is access to a diverse group of children and we were in dire need of them.  My neice, a 7 year old seasoned actor/model with the Dan Talent Group, headed the group up with her 2 year old wild-child brother in tow.  Then, my friend and co-worker, brought her recently adopted daughters and their friends, and suddenly it was a party!
As for the dogs, well, Stouie of "Flat Stouie" fame was there with his brother Bull, the kids adored them as they showed off their wonderful home-training skills and performed tricks for treats.  Our recently adopted beautiful Bella was there with her loving parents, not to be outdone by our pocket pittie, Tia the Operation Broken Chain survivor.  But the girl who stole the show and our hearts, was our adopt-a-bull Rosie (see picture)

Then-our main attraction and Nashville Pittie's own superstar in the making: Lauren Winans.  She was there looking beautiful, representing her big boy Xavier (who was sick) and just generally being awesome with her camera crew. 
There was a lot of hub-bub, a lot of fawning over dogs, and a great concept...so there we were.  Suddenly I had one of my lightening moments and realized that this concept of anti-discrimination message we were trying to convey would be most powerful in the voices or our very different, but all lovely, children.  In a flash I was writing down lines for every kid and bustling around handing a line to each kid, while my sister (a seasoned actor and model herself) jumped into director mode and we were suddenly off shooting a PSA!  It was wonderful fun!  Each of the dogs and children were completely on point!  I remember hearing somewhere that working with animals and children are an actor's worst nightmare-they clearly didn't have our bunch of talented dogs and kids!  I will not give away their lines or reveal the whole commercial, but I am on pins and needles in anticipation of seeing it! 
So here is where I get back to my title, a beloved American icon, and a man who felt so very misunderstood his whole life once said "In their innocence, very young children know themselves to be light and love. If we will allow them, they can teach us to see ourselves the same way. ” 
Those powerful words from Micheal Jackson come to me now, as I reflect on what it will take to erase discrimination in our world, or maybe just in our country, those words resinate with me.  Whether we are talking about basic human rights, or animal rights, it starts with our children.  Our children do have the love and the light to spread our message.  A message of pure love without the politics or media to muddy up their vision quite yet.  And our dogs?  They naturally have love and light and will gladly share it with anyone within petting distance.  Do you have the strength, power, and faith to follow their lead?  I hope that you do.  After all, another beloved American icon, and artist taken from us much too soon sang these words that I know you remember well,
"I believe the children are our are future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be"~Whitney Houston

Will you let the children lead you in light and love in acceptance of people, dogs, ideas, that you have let outside factors reshape?  This might seem pretty deep for a dog blog, but here is the thing: I mean it.  I advocate for these beautiful, smart, loving dogs because they need a voice to contradict the unfair myths and outright lies we hear from so many negative sources.  I hope you hear my voice through this blog, but I really hope you hear the children in this PSA and I hope you see the innocence shared by the children and others who cannot always speak for themselves.  And I hope that you will in turn share your light and love. 
Peace and Love,
Kris and Kao

No comments:

Post a Comment